Fellow Citizens of Dundee.
I now must bid farewell to ye.
For I am going to London far away.
But when I will return again I cannot say.
Farewell! Farewell! to the bonnie banks o’ the Silvery Tay.
Also the beautiful Hill o’ Balgay.
And the ill fated Bridge o’ the Silvery Tay.
Which I will remember when I am far away.
Farewell! to my friends and, patrons all.
That rallied around me in the Music Hall.
And those that has rallied around me to night,
I shall not forget when out of sight.
And, if I ever return to Dundee again,
I hope it will be with the laurels of fame.
Plac’d on my brow by dame fortune that fickle Jade.
And, to Court her favour I am not afraid.
Farewell! to every one in the Argyle Hall.
That has Come to hear McGonagall.
Recite, and sing, his Songs to night.
Which I hope will long be rernember’d when I’m out of sight.
Adieu to all my enemies that want to mock me when passing by.
But I excuse them for their ignorance and leave them to the most high.
And, once again, my friends, and enemies. I bid ye all good bye.
And when I am gone ye will for me heave a sigh :-
I return my thanks to my Chairman and my Committee,
For the Kindness they have always shown to me.
I hope the Lord! will protect them when I am far away.
And prosper them in all their undertakings by night and by day.
© William McGonagall 🔒
Some other random works of this poet:
- The Sprig Of Moss
- Lines In Praise Of Professor Blackie
- Beautiful Balmerino
- A Tale Of Christmas Eve
- The Queen’s Jubilee Celebrations
- Death And Burial Of Lord Tennyson
- The Rattling Boy From Dublin
- To Mr James Scrymgeour, Dundee
- The Moon
- The Last Berkshire Eleven
- The Loss Of The Victoria
- The Newport Railway
- A New Year’s Resolution To Leave Dundee
- The Sunderland Calamity
- Beautiful Torquay
- Calamity In London
- The Battle Of Alexandria
- Little Popeet – The Lost Child
- Loch Katrine
- Grace Darling
- General Gordon, The Hero Of Khartoum
- Lines In Praise Of Tommy Atkins
- The Clepington Catastrophe
- The Ancient Town Of Leith
- The Battle Of Sheriffmuir
- Beautiful Balmoral
- The Hero Of Kalapore
- Descriptive Jottings Of London
- A Humble Heroine
- The Death Of The Queen
- Nora, The Maid Of Killarney
- The Royal Review
- The Wreck Of The Barque Lynton
- The Little Match Girl
- The Burial Of Mr. Gladstone
- The Battle Of El-Teb
- The Convict’s Return
- Women’s Suffrage
- The Tay Bridge Disaster
- A Soldier’s Reprieve
- Loch Ness
- The Troubles Of Matthew Mahoney
- The Battle Of Waterloo
- The Den O’ Fowlis
- The Demon Drink
- Beautiful Rothesay
- Robert Burns
- The Village Of Tayport And Its Surroundings