Fellow Citizens of Dundee.
I now must bid farewell to ye.
For I am going to London far away.
But when I will return again I cannot say.
Farewell! Farewell! to the bonnie banks o’ the Silvery Tay.
Also the beautiful Hill o’ Balgay.
And the ill fated Bridge o’ the Silvery Tay.
Which I will remember when I am far away.
Farewell! to my friends and, patrons all.
That rallied around me in the Music Hall.
And those that has rallied around me to night,
I shall not forget when out of sight.
And, if I ever return to Dundee again,
I hope it will be with the laurels of fame.
Plac’d on my brow by dame fortune that fickle Jade.
And, to Court her favour I am not afraid.
Farewell! to every one in the Argyle Hall.
That has Come to hear McGonagall.
Recite, and sing, his Songs to night.
Which I hope will long be rernember’d when I’m out of sight.
Adieu to all my enemies that want to mock me when passing by.
But I excuse them for their ignorance and leave them to the most high.
And, once again, my friends, and enemies. I bid ye all good bye.
And when I am gone ye will for me heave a sigh :-
I return my thanks to my Chairman and my Committee,
For the Kindness they have always shown to me.
I hope the Lord! will protect them when I am far away.
And prosper them in all their undertakings by night and by day.
© William McGonagall
Some other random works of this poet:
- An Ode To The Queen
- The Kessack Ferry-Boat Fatality
- The Death Of The Queen
- The Miraculous Escape Of Robert Allan, The Fireman
- The Blind Girl
- The Little Match Girl
- Greenland’s Icy Mountains
- The Relief Of Mafeking
- Beautiful North Berwick
- Jottings Of New York
- The Wreck Of The Whaler Oscar
- The Bonnie Lass O’ Dundee
- The Railway Bridge Of The Silvery Tay
- An All-Night Sea Fight
- The Village Of Tayport And Its Surroundings
- A New Year’s Resolution To Leave Dundee
- Bill Bowls The Sailor
- The Great Franchise Demonstration
- Beautiful Edinburgh
- The Terrific Cyclone Of 1893
- The Disastrous Fire At Scarborough
- To Mr James Scrymgeour, Dundee
- The Hero Of Kalapore
- Beautiful Rothesay
- The Battle Of Sheriffmuir
- The Battle Of El-Teb
- The Battle Of Abu Klea
- Mcgonagall’s Ode To The King
- Richard Pigott, The Forger
- The Beautiful Sun
- The Wreck Of The Steamer Mohegan
- Hanchen, The Maid Of The Mill
- The Tay Bridge Disaster
- An Address To The New Tay Bridge
- A Humble Heroine
- Lines In Praise Of The Lyric Club Banquet
- Broughty Ferry
- The Sunderland Calamity
- Loch Katrine
- The Burning Of The Steamer City Of Montreal
- Bonnie Callander
- The Late Sir John Ogilvy
- The Wreck Of The Indian Chief
- Beautiful Balmerino
- The Battle Of Omdurman
- The Summary History Of Sir William Wallace
- General Gordon, The Hero Of Khartoum
- Beautiful Village Of Penicuik