Smiths Buildings No. 19
Sept the 6th. 1877.
Most August! Empress of India, and of great Britain the Queen,
I most humbly beg your pardon, hoping you will not think it mean
That a poor poet that lives in Dundee,
Would be so presumptous to write unto Thee
Most lovely Empress of India, and Englands generous Queen,
I send you an Address, I have written on Scotlands Bard,
Hoping that you will accept it, and not be with me to hard,
Nor fly into a rage, but be as Kind and Condescending
As to give me your Patronage
Beautiful Empress, of India, and Englands Gracious Queen,
I send you a Shakespearian Address written by me.
And I think if your Majesty reads it, right pleased you will be.
And my heart it will leap with joy, if it is patronized by Thee.
Most Mighty Empress, of India, and Englands beloved Queen,
Most Handsome to be Seen.
I wish you every Success.
And that heaven may you bless.
For your Kindness to the poor while they are in distress.
I hope the Lord will protect you while living
And hereafter when your Majesty is … dead.
I hope the Lord above will place an eternal Crown! upon your Head.
I am your Gracious Majesty ever faithful to Thee,
William McGonagall, The Poor Poet,
That lives in Dundee.
© William McGonagall 🔒
Some other random works of this poet:
- The Wreck Of The Thomas Dryden
- Bonnie Callander
- The Battle Of Atbara
- Jack Honest, Or The Widow And Her Son
- The Burning Of The People’s Variety Theatre, Aberdeen
- Jottings Of New York
- Beautiful Balmoral
- The Moon
- The Capture Of Havana
- Calamity In London
- A Soldier’s Reprieve
- The Storming Of The Dargai Heights
- An Excursion Steamer Sunk In The Tay
- John Rouat The Fisherman
- The Den O’ Fowlis
- Lines In Defence Of The Stage
- A Humble Heroine
- Jenny Carrister, The Heroine Of Lucknow-Mine
- The River Of Leith
- Nora, The Maid Of Killarney
- A Tale Of Elsinore
- The Clepington Catastrophe
- The Rattling Boy From Dublin
- The Funeral Of The German Emperor
- Descriptive Jottings Of London
- An Adventure In The Life Of King James V Of Scotland
- A Tribute To Mr J. Graham Henderson, The World’s Fair Judge
- Captain Teach Alias Black Beard
- The Royal Review
- The Destroying Angel
- The Battle Of Alexandria
- A Descriptive Poem On The Silvery Tay
- Bonnie Montrose
- The Wreck Of The Abercrombie Robinson
- The Last Berkshire Eleven
- The Troubles Of Matthew Mahoney
- The Bonnie Lass O’ Ruily
- The Battle Of Tel-El-Kebir
- An All-Night Sea Fight
- The Burning Of The Steamer City Of Montreal
- The Disastrous Fire At Scarborough
- A Christmas Carol
- The Wreck Of The Steamer Stella
- The Demon Drink
- The Loss Of The Victoria
- The Nithsdale Widow And Her Son