That the moon causes tides
seems too witchy to be science.
The sea purging sheet iron,
jeans, a jewel-eyed
alabaster goat. Is that
why I’m here? Everyone
needs kudos, from newborns
to saviors. Nora, nearly three,
draws sunlight in golden bars,
not unlike an Impressionist painter.
I like to think of light this way,
dispensed in attache cases
to illuminate as needed.
The famous poet said write
by the light of your wounds.
A drunk flies over his bicycle handlebars,
crumples by the side of the road.
Performed pain is still pain.
Some people born before the Model T
lived to see man walk on the moon.
To be strapped like that
to the masthead of history
would make me frantic. At parties
(certain collapse at the door,
my unbearable desire
to lick and be licked) I’d shout
I’m frantic, and you? Like a fire,
hungry and resisting containment,
I’d pound at the windows, my
mouth full of hors d’oeuvres.
Outside — sweeping plains
of green flora and service stations.
Odd, for an apocalypse
to announce itself with such bounty.
I hear crickets chirp and think
of my weaker heart, the tiny one
sewn behind the one that beats (unhumble
birth, error of the blood). It lives there,
made entirely of watery pink light,
flapping at dawn like a baby’s cheek.
It doesn’t take much, to love a saint
like me. On a gravel road,
the soft tissues of my eye detect
a snake curling around a tree
branch. Because I am here
each of these things has a name.
© Kaveh Akbar 🔒
Some other random works of this poet:
- No Is a Complete Sentence
- Morning Prayer with Rat King
- Pilgrim Bell
- I Wouldn’t Even Know What to Do with a Third Chance
- Portrait of the Alcoholic Floating in Space with Severed Umbilicus
- Being in This World Makes Me Feel Like a Time Traveler
- A Boy Steps Into the Water
- Forfeiting My Mystique
- Despite My Efforts Even My Prayers Have Turned into Threats
- What Use Is Knowing Anything If No One Is Around
- What Seems Like Joy
- Against Dying
- The Perfect Poem
- Look, the Human Is Shrinking
- Reza’s Restaurant, Chicago, 1997
- My Kingdom for a Murmur of Fanfare
- Waiting for the Twelfth
- River of Milk
- Orchids are Sprouting From the Floorboards
- The New World
- Ways to Harm a Thing
- Tower of Babel
- Against Vanity